All Images on this site available for purchase

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Truckee Brown

The Truckee River kicks down. There's a few places on the river i love to visit in the spring. On a recent trip down to Reno i stopped by the good old Truckee. After walking for a while i spotted this brown feeding in shallow water. I could tell it was a fish, but i couldn't tell how big it was. Luckily the wind was blowing hard and the water was chopped up. The fish stayed around and let me fish to it for over an hour. I threw several drys and got a couple looks but not commitment. Finally i hooked him on a size 18 nymph on 5x tippet dropped off of one of my hoppers. He gave me a good head shake and poof, was gone. I couldn't stop thinking about it, so i slept in my truck and went back the next day. He was still here. The wind was blowing again and he looked happy. I threw at him a few time and bam, he ate the dropper again. This time i finessed my way through the fight. He went up and down and all over the show. As i was fighting the fish a couple people stopped to watch. When i landed him there was a stimulator hanging out of his mouth. He had busted someone else off earlier that week. What a brute. He broke some poor dudes 4 x. I was jealous they got him to come up for the dry. What a specimen. I'm a brown trout fiend and this guy made my month. It's so rare to have the chance to sight fish to a fish like this around here. This was totally NZ style right in my back yard. A passer by Robert Miller shot this photo for me with his camera. He also was nice enough to film with my video camera. Keep an eye out for this shot down the road. It was a great take.

4 comments:

El Pescador said...

definitely a brown brute. can't wait to see the footage.

SIERRA FLYSWATTER said...

Nice brown Mikey. The Truckee's been fishing well this spring, we've posted a few pics on our blog from the river. We're in for some hot fishing this summer.

Nathan Ira said...

Soooo freaking sweet.

Bernard Yin said...

Serious kype!